First-class airline tickets can cost four times the price of coach. Don’t splurge–try these 10 things and get upgraded for free.
- Dress the part.
- Ask for an upgrade.
- Be early.
- Travel solo.
- Travel during peak times.
- Sit next to the baby or take the middle seat.
- Give up your spot.
- Check your seat.
How can I get a free upgrade on my flight?
How to Score a Free Upgrade to Business Class
- Ask the ticket counter agent.
- Book with a travel agent.
- Check in early.
- Volunteer to get “bumped” from an overbooked flight.
- Ask a flight attendant for an upgrade if you see a seat available.
- Become a member of your airline’s frequent flyer program.
- Avoid flying from your carrier’s main hub if it is a large airport.
Is it cheaper to upgrade to business class at the airport?
Realistically, it’s a gamble and getting upgraded to business class at the airport is pretty rare. If luxury and extra legroom is really important to you, book it in advance. However, if you’re perfectly willing to fly economy class, and willing to roll the dice, a last-minute upgrade can be the cheapest option.
Can you ask for an upgrade at the gate?
You can ask if any upgrades are available, but when you get to the gate there will be a flat screen monitor overhead that will show you the status of upgrades and standby passengers. Most airlines assume that all frequent flyers want to apply for upgrades, so you get put into the queue as soon as you buy your ticket.
How do you get upgraded to business class?
Collect air miles
Put simply: in most instances if you’d like to upgrade to business class, you’d need to book premium economy. If you’d like to upgrade to premium economy, shoot for an economy ticket. An upgrade to a destination such as New York will generally cost between 20,000 – 30,000 airline miles each way.