How To Ask For A Continuance In Traffic Court?

How do I request a traffic court continuance?

To request a continuance, you may contact the clerk of the court, either in person or by telephone.

An experienced traffic attorney suggests doing so by registered mail.

In this way, you have proof that a request was made.

Once the request is made, it is up to the court to either grant your request or to deny it.

Can you continue a traffic court date?

In most courts, a driver charged with a traffic violation is entitled to an automatic continuance of their case to a later date. As a general rule, you only get one automatic continuance. You can get a first continuance by contacting the clerk’s office and requesting one.

What does it mean to request a continuance in court?

In American procedural law, a continuance is the postponement of a hearing, trial, or other scheduled court proceeding at the request of either or both parties in the dispute, or by the judge sua sponte.

How do I reschedule a speeding ticket court date?

B. Motion to Change the Trial Date

  • Go to the courthouse and tell the clerk you want to file a motion to adjourn.
  • The clerk will give you a court date at which a justice will hear your motion.
  • The clerk will give you a simple “Notice of Motion” form to fill out.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *