How much should I ask for relocation package?
Know that moving can be very expensive.
Whatever you think it’ll cost, it’ll probably cost more.
According to the Worldwide ERC®, in 2012 companies spent an average of $19,303 to move a new hire renter and $70,000 to move a new hire homeowner.
This isn’t a time to be shy about asking for help.
How do I ask for relocation allowance?
Your preparation for this negotiation should include the following:
- Ask your new employer’s HR department if the company has a written relocation policy or if it offers standard benefits.
- Find out who at the company has recently moved, and ask about their relocation packages.
How do you negotiate a relocation package?
How to Negotiate a Relocation Package
- Estimate the cost of your move.
- Research the cost of living in your new area and make sure your salary is up to par.
- Think about the unique costs you’ll incur by moving.
What does a typical relocation package include?
A core or typical job relocation package usually covers the costs of moving and storing furnishings and other household goods, along with help selling an existing home and costs incurred house hunting, temporary housing if necessary and all travel costs by the employee and family to the new location.