How do I ask for a better severance package?
Negotiating to Get the Best Severance Package
If the number of weeks is based on your years of employment with the company and can’t be changed, then try to negotiate a substitute like additional weeks for paid benefits before you are forced to go on COBRA.
What do you do when you get a severance package?
What should you do if you are offered severance?
- Take your time.
- Gather information.
- Review the package in detail.
- Think of reasons why you were fired.
- Decide whether to negotiate.
- Decide what to negotiate.
- When in doubt hire a lawyer.
Can you counter offer a severance package?
Because severance packages are generally not required by law, employers typically set the terms. So, if you ask for changes or make a counteroffer, that could be considered rejecting the package, and the offer may be withdrawn entirely.
How do I negotiate a redundancy package?
- Set out your objectives.
- Check your contract of employment.
- Check your employer’s redundancy policies.
- Decide your negotiating strategy.
- (Almost) always seek to negotiate the financial values.
- Be clear and polite when negotiating.
- Take good notes of meetings.
- Do your research.