How do you ask someone for a recommendation?
Ask a teacher (or two) who knows you well and in whose class you excelled. The better relationship you have with your recommender, the more insightful your recommendation letter will be. It helps if the teacher is known to be a strong writer, too! Request your reference letters in person.
How do I ask my boss for a recommendation?
Make your request direct and clear.
If you’re meeting face-to-face, speak clearly and confidently: ask if your boss will write you a letter of recommendation, explain the context for which you need the letter, and give the date by which you’ll need the letter in hand.
How do you get a recommendation?
Tips for Getting a Great Letter of Recommendation
- Develop relationships.
- Choose whom to ask wisely.
- Waive your right to see the recommendation.
- Ask politely, preferably in person.
- Provide as much time as possible for your recommender to write.
- Provide a description of the position or scholarship for which you are applying and explain why you are interested in it.