How do you ask a professor for a reference?
How To Ask Your Professor for a Letter of Recommendation
- Know thy professor. First of all, approach only those professors with whom you have a real relationship.
- Ask early and ask in person.
- Make sure it’s a glowing recommendation.
- Make it easy for them to write your recommendation.
- Example of a recommendation letter request.
- Show gratitude.
- Examples of recommendation letters.
How do you ask a professor for a letter of recommendation via email?
To ask your professor for a letter of recommendation via email, start by including your name and the purpose of your email in the subject line, like “Recommendation for Sarah Smith.” Then, start your email with something like “I am writing to ask if you would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me,”
How do you ask a professor for a letter of recommendation for grad school?
Requesting Letters of Recommendation
- Ask to meet with your recommender(s) to discuss your desire to apply to graduate school.
- Communicate with your recommenders about your goals for graduate study, your career aspirations, and how you chose your schools and programs.
- Give your recommenders a copy of your transcript and CV or resume.